MOULD in your house is bad for your health. This is one sign of black mould that ‘almost guarantees’ your house is infested with the dangerous spores and fungi. Express.co.uk explores damp mould on walls and how to get rid of mould.
Black mould can cause a range of health problems, which can be very problematic.
The NHS says “if you have damp and mould you’re more likely to have respiratory problems, respiratory infections, allergies or asthma.
“Damp and mould can also affect the immune system.”
Whether you rent or own your home – make sure you are living mould free to avoid the unpleasant side effects and potentially long term health problems.
Toxic black mould is also known as ‘stachybotrys’, and is usually associated with poor air quality in the home.
Website Home Guides has claimed that a smell can indicate whether black mould is present.
“To tell if black mould may be growing in your home, just follow your nose,” the website says.
“A musty, earthy smell, like dirt and rotting leaves, is a telltale sign of mould’s presence.”
Black mould smells especially strong, so a strong odour is the first clue that a house needs to be inspected.
Visually black mould also looks a little different to other kinds of mould – which also pose health problems though maybe not as severe.
“Stachybotrys is usually greenish-black and somewhat slimy or wet, but may also appear grayish with a sooty, powdery texture,” the website says.
No matter what the mould in your home looks like, the website always recommends having any mould removed.
The NHS adds: “Some people are more sensitive than others, including babies and children, elderly people and those with existing skin problems, such as eczema.
“Moulds produce allergens (substances that can cause an allergic reaction), irritants and, sometimes, toxic substances.
“Inhaling or touching mould spores may cause an allergic reaction, such as sneezing, a runny nose, red eyes and skin rash.”
How do you get rid of a bees nest in your home? There are different types of bees in the UK, all of which may require different treatment methods, and sometimes you have to act quickly to avoid damage to your home.